Updated Wednesday, November 15, 2017. Recent updates provided in red.
HURRICANE IRMA RECOVERY EFFORTS CONTINUE
- The FEMA Disaster Recovery Center is open at Islamorada Fire Station 20. Current Hours are Monday - Friday from 9AM to 5PM and Saturday from 9AM to 1PM. The site is now closed on Sundays. The site is provided by FEMA to assist residents with personal and business-related needs. Fire Station 20 is located at 81850 Overseas Highway, across from the Hurricane Monument on Upper Matecumbe Key.
- Permitting workshop recording available: The recording of the Workshop to address Construction, Zoning and Permitting requirements for emergency repairs and storm damage to Islamorada properties was held Friday, September 29th. View the 1-hour meeting for information from staff and questions answered for the public on the archived meetings page. It will also be rebroadcast on the Comcast government channel.
- Debris removal from Islamorada properties began September 16th and is almost complete.
- THE FINAL DEBRIS PICKUP FOR PLANTATION KEY BEGAN MONDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2017 AND ARE COMPLETE. Plantation Key property owners may no longer place debris on the right-of-way. NO DUMPING regulations will be enforced.
- THE FINAL PICKUP FOR WINDLEY KEY BEGAN MONDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2017 AND ARE COMPLETE. Windley Key property may no longer place debris on the right-of-way. NO DUMPING regulations will be enforced.
- THE FINAL PICKUP FOR UPPER MATECUMBE KEY BEGAN MONDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2017 AND ARE NEARLY COMPLETE. Upper Matecumbe Key residents may no longer place remaining hurricane debris on right-of-way. NO DUMPING regulations will be enforced.
- THE FINAL PICKUP FOR LOWER MATECUMBE KEY BEGAN MONDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2017. Lower Matecumbe Key residents may no longer place debris on right-of-way. NO DUMPING regulations will be enforced.
- Founders Park is open on a limited basis - The fitness park, tennis courts and basketball courts and baseball field are now open to the public Monday through Friday evenings from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm. See the flyer. The Ron Levy Aquatic Center WILL REOPEN AS SOON AS POOL REPAIRS ARE COMPLETED,
- See list of other parks open in Islamorada below.
- The boat ramp at Founders Park (PHY) is now open to the public 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. seven days per week. No ramp fees will be charged.
- The Plantation Yacht Harbor Marina now open for reservations.
- No open burning is allowed in Islamorada or Monroe County. DO NOT BURN DEBRIS.
Electric, water and sewer services are restored. If you do not have any of these services to your property, please contact the appropriate utility company.
- FKEC (Tavernier office) 305-853-5381
- FKAA (Key West office) 305-296-2454
- Islamorada Sewer Emergency 305-359-0813
REPORT ANY WATER LEAKS TO FKAA AT 305-296-2454.
The Florida Park Service is reopening State Parks as conditions allow. Visit keysrecovery.org/parks-updates/ for the current list state and county parks that have reopened.
Anne's Beach in Islamorada will remain closed until further notice.
Parks in Islamorada OPEN to the public are:
- Plantation Tropical Preserve (MM 90 bayside).
- Library Beach Park (MM 81.5 bayside)
- Green Turtle Hammock Preserve (MM 81.2 bayside)
- Key Tree Cactus Preserve (MM 80.5 bayside)
- Southwinds Park (MM 82.1 oceanside between U.S. 1 and the Old Highway)
A new charity has been established to support the families and communities in the Florida Keys who have been devastated by Hurricane Irma.KeysStrong.org Money, goods, services and labor are donated 100% DIRECTLY to assist families and rebuild the Keys communities.
If you wish to support relief efforts, please donate to KeysStrong.org, your favorite charity or visit www.keysrecovery.org to find a list of additional charities.
The First Baptist Church of Islamorada located at 81201 Overseas Highway continues to distribute relief supplies Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday form 10am-noon and serve dinner Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 6pm. THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH WELCOMES VOLUNTEERS TO HELP! Please call 305-664-4910 or stop by during the hours above.
Citizens Insurance Customers
Citizens Insurance Catastrophe Relief Center is no longer staged in Key Largo. Citizens Insurance customers with wind/storm damage may call the claims hotline 24/7 at 866-411-2742.
FEMA Individual Assistance Programs:
IN ADDITION TO THE FEMA ASSISTANCE SITE LOCATED AT ISLAMORADA FIRE STATION 20 and locations in the lower keys, people may begin a claim by visiting disasterassistance.gov. FEMA smartphone app can be found at https://fema.gov.
Free Legal Counsel for Post-Irma Issues:
Florida Keys residents needing legal assistance to navigate FEMA applications and insurance issues following Hurricane Irma can obtain free help from the Monroe County Bar Association. For assistance, send an email with name, address and phone information to email@example.com.
Small Business Administration Disaster Loans (for homeowners, renters and businesses):
The SBA offers disaster assistance in the form of low-interest loans to businesses, renters, and homeowners located in regions affected by declared disasters. Applicants are encouraged to apply online for a disaster loan. You can also call 800-659-2955, if you do not have access to a computer. Eligible Private NonProfit (PNP) organizations in Florida have a Nov. 20 deadline to submit disaster loan applications for physical damages caused by Hurricane Irma from Sept. 4 through Oct. 18, 2017. The deadline for disaster assistance (physical damage) for individual and businesses has been extended to Nov. 24, 2017.
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA):
DUA is to provide Reemployment Assistance (RA) benefits and reemployment services to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a major disaster and who are not eligible for regular state Reemployment Assistance benefits. Visit http://floridajobs.org.
Visit www.keysrecovery.org, a site Monroe County dedicated solely to the Hurricane Irma Recovery Effort.
Public Information Officer