Islamorada, Village of Islands has the following Employment Opportunities
Interested individuals should call the Finance and Administration Department for more information at (305) 664-6448 or stop by at Village Hall, 86800 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036 to pick up an application. Applications can also be downloaded from this website in pdf format by clicking here (updated link 01.11.2016). Resumes can be faxed to (305) 664-6468 or emailed to email@example.com - all full time positions have benefit packages of Health, Life, Dental,
and Vision plans; 12 vacation days and 12 sick days annually.
Islamorada is hiring the following Seasonal Positions: Lifeguard, Camp Counselor and Park Attendants. Click here for more information.
Islamorada, Village of Islands, FL
Chief Building Official
Islamorada, Village of Islands, FL (population 6,200). Located in the beautiful Florida Keys, Islamorada is a tourism-oriented community an hour south of Miami consisting of four islands spanning 18 linear miles with a land area of approximately 3,900 acres. Known as the Sport Fishing Capital of the World, Islamorada is a popular vacation destination enjoyed for its up-scale small-town atmosphere, scenic bay and ocean views, sunshine, boating, fishing, locally owned restaurants, quaint shops and galleries.
Located within an Area of Critical State Concern, growth is limited, a 24-hour evacuation rule is maintained and there is a strong focus on conservation of critical habitat. The Village recently completed a Village-wide central wastewater collection and transmission capital project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide strong and effective leadership and supervision of the employees comprising the Building Division, ensuring a well-run department with efficiently balanced work distribution;
• Communicate current and changing building codes, monitor and report on trends;
• Handle all managerial duties including development of the division budget, ongoing financial oversight, complaint response, and management reporting;
• Facilitate meetings as an effective tool for employees to work in partnership with other divisions or departments to attain stated goals;
• Prepares and presents oral and written reports;
• Evaluate current systems, procedures and policies, in particular with regard to internal work flow and the overall design review processes; identify areas that require updating or reengineering; and implement necessary changes in a timely and cost-effective manner;
• Participates in and/or conducts preliminary plan reviews;
• Conducts inspections on complex projects and assists inspectors, plan check engineers, and permit technician staff in resolving problems;
• Experience in the implementation and management of a paperless plans review and inspections system is preferred.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
• Reviews codes, regulations and standards to stay current on the latest edition of the Florida Building Code.
• Experience with CityView and Bluebeam revu is preferred.
• Attends technical seminars.
• Participates in training conferences, and other continuing education programs to keep current with technology, maintain skills, and meet current licensing requirements.
• Preferred to maintained a B.S. in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a supervisory capacity.
License and Certification
• Multi-trade certifications preferred.
• Certified Building Code Administrator (BCA) OR Certified Building Official (CBO) by the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.