Islamorada, Village of Islands
Public Works Department
Projects Status Report
The Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining and improving 51 miles of Village roadways and 34 miles of paved bike lanes, including the multi-purpose Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail. The department is tasked with maintaining 138 miles of Village and Federal rights-of-way. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, mowing, tree trimming, weed and litter removal, street sign improvements, pothole repair and minor roadway shoulder improvements.
Additional responsibilities include maintaining and improving Village owned buildings, public parks and conservation lands, traffic signals, street signage and stormwater drainage structures. Capital Improvement projects (not related to Waste Water) are also implemented by the department.
Public Works services requests from residents and all other Village departments and is an integral part of the Emergency Operations Center. The department's staff regularly collaborates with the Village's solid waste contractor, act as liaison to the Landscape Advisory Committee, manages the Buoy Maintenance program, and addresses stormwater related issues.
• Maintained the Village properties, public roadways and U.S.1 corridor
• Maintained the bike trails and bike lanes throughout the Village weekly
• Provided removal of invasive vegetation along the US1 corridor twice within the fiscal year
• Provided a staff certified Arborist and Stormwater Management Inspector
• Coordinated with the Florida Department of Transportation and the Islamorada Sheriff's Department to address maintenance and environmental issues on the US1 right-of-way on Tea Table Relief Fill, Indian Key Fill and Lignumvitae Key Fill
• Continue project coordination with Florida Department of Transportation, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and Florida Department of Environmental Protection
• Continue to collaborate with the Village's Planning and Finance departments to develop the Key Tree Cactus Nature Preserve
• Create and implement a Right-of-Way Ordinance providing for property owners to maintain adjacent right-of-way properties
• Develop and implement marine resource and near shore water projects
• Develop plans, engineering, and cost analysis to address stormwater issues and options for future projects
Household Hazardous Waste Schedule - click here